• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Rachael

Rachael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

i did find both my danes difficult to train, but bearing in mind they were both rescues & didnt come to me until they were 6 & 8 months & already full of bad habits thats not surprising!
add the fact that Clara would stick two fingers up at me if she didnt want to do anything & Harry is more interested in acting the clown & entertaining the class ( anything for a laugh- thats my boy! tongue.gif ) i never stood a chance.
however!!!!! Harry is finally starting to mature & listen to me & myself & thetrainers are seeing a real difference in him.
i do have to say though that the easiest dog i have ever owned and trained is Callum my rottie. & to think i postponed getting a rott as i heard they were a difficult dog!! i keep threatening that im gonna stick with my rotts from now on! much easier than the danes! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#22 cheryldane

cheryldane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Dusty @ Dec 11 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

I have spoken to other trainers who also claim that Great Danes and impossible to train and will not even allow them in there classes.

WHAT TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TRAINERS TO JUST NOT ALLOW A BREED OF DOG IN AS IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE SLOWER THAN SOME??
I PERSONALLY THINK IT DEPENDS ON DOG TO DOG. I HAVE ONE CALLED TILLY WHO IS THE BRIGHTEST THING EVER AND LOVES TO LEARN, YET I HAVE ANOTHER WHO JUST HAS THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GNAT BUT IM SURE IF I GAVE HER THE TIME AND PATIENCE SHE WOULD BE AS GOOD AS ANY OTHER DOG

#23 shadowcat

shadowcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Just though i would post a picture of Alfie with his Immediate 1 area winner trophy.Linda and Alfie

Attached Thumbnails

• s1196458234_76737_8453.jpg
  • n1196458234_76738_8743.jpg

#24 AngieUK

AngieUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

In some respects Daphne seems hard to train but other times easy. She has done well to learn come, sit, down, paw, in your cage, 99% potty trained and she isn't 5 months old.

My problem isn't that she is dumb in any way she is too smart IMO. She thinks about what you are asking, she figures out if theres anything in it for her and if there isn't or she doesn't feel like doing what you ask she simply looks at you.

I am determined though and will persevere and I am sure with time she will learn she has to obey everytime not just when she feels like it.

But I have never had a dog as smart as her, all my other dogs just learned a trick or command and from then on would do it when you ask. She is the only one I have ever known to think about if she wants to do it or not.

Who says Danes are dumb? wink.gif

#25 Cassie.Caro

Cassie.Caro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hard to Train? Yes!! I will admit this is my first Dane. I have had Shelties, Collies and Pomeranians- They were extremely intelligent and easy to train. The Dane I have is the most stubborn, difficult and just plain flat hard to train dog I've ever had. I can't help but wonder if the Dane breed on a whole has a low intelligence or if perhaps it is my dog. I've tried so hard with her. Things get better very, very slowly~

#26 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

They have a very different learning style from collies and the likes, but they are very intelligent dogs - intelligent enough to hide that sometimes :).

Danes aren't obsessive like collies, so you can't repeat and repeat and repeat; they get bored and inattentive.  It's best to do little and often with them, and make it fun.

Hazel

#27 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

Although we never had great success with our danes and yes they dont seem to concentrate like many other breeds, they do at least try, which is a great advance on our saint bernard as they are deliberately stubborn and will refuse to do anything they dont want to. Have just given up completely with Annie and we are both much happier.

#28 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hard to Train? Yes!! I will admit this is my first Dane. I have had Shelties, Collies and Pomeranians- They were extremely intelligent and easy to train. The Dane I have is the most stubborn, difficult and just plain flat hard to train dog I've ever had. I can't help but wonder if the Dane breed on a whole has a low intelligence or if perhaps it is my dog. I've tried so hard with her. Things get better very, very slowly~

That's how they do it !

They aren't stupid, they are extremely clever at working out what will benefit themselves and ignoring anything that will reap no rewards.

You are used to having quick thinking dogs so my advice would be to just take your time, have patience and celebrate the small triumphs when they come.

#29 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

In some respects Daphne seems hard to train but other times easy. She has done well to learn come, sit, down, paw, in your cage, 99% potty trained and she isn't 5 months old.My problem isn't that she is dumb in any way she is too smart IMO. She thinks about what you are asking, she figures out if theres anything in it for her and if there isn't or she doesn't feel like doing what you ask she simply looks at you.I am determined though and will persevere and I am sure with time she will learn she has to obey everytime not just when she feels like it.But I have never had a dog as smart as her, all my other dogs just learned a trick or command and from then on would do it when you ask. She is the only one I have ever known to think about if she wants to do it or not.Who says Danes are dumb? wink.gif

I would agree that Penelope figures out if there is anything in it for her. She is very smart and very conniving. Her only goal in life is to be close to us, wherever we are. If she doesn't see much reason to sit when we ask it is like watching her rear end drop in slow motion as she thinks about it