• Members
  • Pip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

Helen,

As promised and many thanks once again.

Tony Pearce

Great Dane Breed Health Survey

This health survey has been conducted by The Breed Health Officer and the Health Sub Committee on behalf of The Great Dane Breed Council (UK). The survey was carried out during 2010.
The object of the survey was to ascertain the incidence of the problems listed and to eventually come to an understanding of those problems, if any, that may require the Breeds action/recommendations to lessen the incidence of a particular problem. It also gives the Breed Council the information to speak on behalf of the breed on health matters by dealing in facts and not supposition put forward by persons in and outside of our breed.
The total number of Danes surveyed was 505. The results are represented in a % of that figure; it may be that a larger number surveyed may result in a different figure to that shown below.
Nature of problem # No %
Bloat# 93 18.5
DCM# 41 8.1
Bone Cancer# 26 5.1
Wobblers# 24 4.8
Entropion 22 4.25
Megaesophagus# 10 2
OCD 10 2
HD 9 1.07
Ectropion 7 1.4
Glaucoma 4 0.8
Epilepsy# 4 0.8
Elbow Dysplasia 3 0.6
Central Core Myopathy# 3 0.6
HOD# # 2 0.4
Auto Immune Thyroditis 2 0.4

Of the total 505.
285 Danes were not affected by any of the problems = 56.56%
220 Danes were affected by 1 or more of the problems = 43.4%
505 100%
If we discard the Danes that were not affected by any of these problems and look at it from another angle and taking bloat as an example, if we take the Danes that were affected it reads that 44.4% of Danes that have a problem will have bloat that figure is horrendous.
Out of the total 505, 51 Danes died from old age ( 10 or more years ) = 10.1%
I would also mention at this point that DCM may in the future (as it has been found to have two contributory factors) be split into two separate problems.
My recommendation would be that the Breed Clubs look into financing further investigation into the top four problems, which incidentally are all life threatening#
As to what extent we can do anything about those problems that are life
threatening #is contentious. I did write to the KC in 2010 asking at what % does a problem occurring in a breed require action to be taken. It seems this is a debatable point.
I would like to thank all those who through this site submitted the completed questionnaire and Helen for arranging it to be put on the site.

#2 Southpark Helen

Southpark Helen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

Sorry the table didn't come out properly when I pasted the reply. But if you read :

For Bloat 93 Danes had had it which was 18.5% of Danes in the Survey. You get the idea.

Will try and repost it later. Sorry literally no time this morning!!

Helen

#3 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thank you that's very interesting reading

DD & Millie

#4 JEEVES

JEEVES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

That does make for interesting reading......and frightening.

#5 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

It is scary reading and the bloat percentage so high..
Thanks Helen..very informative..
Kim x

#6 Southpark Helen

Southpark Helen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

If you put it into context then 505 danes in the survey is a very small percentage of Danes currently in the UK. We have an estimated 1500 Danes registered a year with an average lifespan of say 6 years (being conservative) then we should have about 9000 Danes alive currently......that does not include unregistered Danes. So Danes surveyed amounts to less than 5%. So I personally don't think it tells me what state is the health of the breed. I don't know how many Danes are unregistered and it could well be more than a thousand so the percentage could be as low as 1-3% of Danes surveyed. Still it's a start and we have to go forward from somewhere.

Helen

#7 cheryldane

cheryldane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Helen,

I'm sorry i have a few questions.

Is this the first breed survey? if it is will there be a yearly survey or say 5 yearly?

if not and it has been done previously on a yearly basis is there a significant rise or fall in any of the findings?

#8 Southpark Helen

Southpark Helen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

As far as I am aware it is the first Breed Health Survey. Don't really know at the moment what their intentions are but I should think they need to rethink the questionnaire big time and look at ways of contacting more people and a greater number of Danes.

Kennel Club are requesting the information too and there is some concern from Dane Breeders that hip scoring shouldn't be mandatory for accredited breeders as there isn't a hip problem in the breed. But I would argue that we have no idea whether our breed has a hip problem when only about 400 Danes have ever had their Xrays sent to the BVA for scoring. I suspect a lot of vets take the xrays and then are asked by owners if the hips look ok. If a vet says they are not likely to get a good score then people won't bothering paying to have the xrays sent to the BVA and risk the public finding out their dog has a bad score.

Basically the survey is a start and hopefully will encourage greater discussion on the health of the breed and how to ascertain more information in the future.

Helen

#9 cheryldane

cheryldane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

I personally think it should be compulsory for a vet to send off the results regardless.
The problem lies in the fact you have to write out a seperate cheque for the payment to the BVA for the results, and if a good vet can give you a good indication that they are bad who will write out that extra cheque?

I agree in the fact that personally i think hips are less of a problem than heart conditions. But if breeders are asking for 800-1500 per pup this will cover hips/elbows/heart and eye tests.
Its when people go out and buy a pup for 300 and think that all the relevant tests will have been done for that amount of money.

#10 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

Fascinating but very sad reading. We have had 3 danes over the past few years. Our first (the incredible Leo) died at a young age (3) from bone cancer in his leg like many others, the second (the late great Horace) died from DCM and our present girl Jess has been treated for bloat.

#11 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

PS does anyone know anything about the Liverpool University work?

#12 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Duffy is on the Liverpool scheme.

Hazel

#13 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cannot believe i am only six ish miles from heckington, my sis lives there,,, am i too late to fill one of the surveys in?
lizzi april and alfie
x

#14 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

just realised i am too late,, soz
lizzi april and alfie
x

#15 m lady

m lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

At least we are a small step nearer to ascertaining the percentage of health problems within the breed. It also helps to increase awareness of buying from reputable breeders.Who knows-maybe next year a larger percentage of members on here for instance will contribute to the survey?

#16 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sorry :(:(
Lizzi april and alfie
x

#17 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Is bloat more likely in ma le or female. Did the survey show that?