• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lizajames

lizajames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

Hey everyone! Just wondering if you guys could help me out. My Great Dane gets on our couch while we are gone almost every time we leave. We had him create trained, but our neighbors needed kennels and our Dane is already potty trained so we gave it to him. He never gets on the couch while we are home, EVER, but if he doesn't hear our vehicle drive up, we walk inside and he's passed out on our couch. How do I fix that?

Thanks!

Liza

#2 sharon

sharon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

You could put dining chairs upside down on it so he can't get on.

#3 elaine21

elaine21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

You could put dining chairs upside down on it so he can't get on.

Which is what I have to do to protect my beautiful silk brocade sofa from Louis! Both boys are allowed on the Chesterfield only.

#4 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I think it is genetic. Danes and couches. I;d just like to know how to get the doggy smell out of the couch. They do look very cute all curled up or sprawled out on the couch. We dont allow her on the beds though, and she has accepted that limitation gracefully.

#5 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

My dogs have never been allowed on the sofa because when they tried I said 'Down and a firm NO', they soon learned :D
Putting dining room chairs on it is not going to solve the problem long term...
You'll have to be firm with him when you put him off...Make him understand its a no no...
Kim x

#6 sharon

sharon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

My Danes are not allowed on the furniture and my present two have never tried!

#7 gretz

gretz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well Augustus is very well trained and if I ask him really nicely he'll let me perch on the end with him :lol:

Same with the bed, if I climb in really quietly and don't take up too much room he lets me sleep with him :lol:

A dog needs to know his place, in our house that seems to be where ever he likes :ph34r:

Lisa x.

ps, sorry, not at all useful but couldn't resist!

#8 m lady

m lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Mine have always known that our sofas are out of bounds-although it's acceptable for me to curl up on theirs. :) All mine have been crate trained too which is irrevalant.As Kim states-putting obstacles on the furniture will not solve the problem long term. In order to prevent your Dane getting on your furniture you have to teach it in the same way as you would in order to discourage any other unwanted behaviour.Teaching the command NO and reinforcing it is the way to go.As with all training-patience and perseverence is the key.Your Dane will get the message with constant repetition of what is required of him. Good luck.

#9 Dave&Mira

Dave&Mira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

putting chairs on the sofa upside down worked for us..

#10 smj

smj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

My 2 are not allowed on sofas either so they've never tried .
However the temptation of getting on when we not in hasn't been given because if we go out and leave them , they are put in the kitchen on thier beds . Would it be convenient for you to confine him to another room to eliminate the temptation ? :)

Sandra Harley & Star xxx

#11 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

My 2 are not allowed on sofas either so they've never tried .
However the temptation of getting on when we not in hasn't been given because if we go out and leave them , they are put in the kitchen on thier beds . Would it be convenient for you to confine him to another room to eliminate the temptation ? :)

Sandra Harley & Star xxx

I have a question for you on confining the Dane to a room. Whenever we have tried that, ours scratches the door so badly. Do you have a gate, or do you close a door. And do they scratch the door when you confine them?

#12 Aldous

Aldous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I would agree with leaving the dog somewhere with no access to the sofa if it's a problem with him getting up when you aren't there to stop him. My two have their own room with their own armchair (for Zeke) and sofa (for Jensen) as well as their beds that they can go to.

My dogs do get on our sofa's with us (especially with the kids :ph34r: ) but only if invited to, once their blanket has been put on it.

The problem with the chair on there is that it could fall and hit him if he dislodged it and you wouldn't be there to help him. Easier to put him out of temptation's way IMO.

#13 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Our rottweiler used to get on the bed anytime we left. We used a scat mat that we had to keep the cats off the counters. While I wouldnt want to put it on the couch if the dog did not know what it was ( I would be afraid they might hurt themselves by landing on it and trying to jump off quickly), we let her get the understanding of it by putting it front of a door of a room in which she was not allowed. She didnt like the mild sensation of a scat mat and when she saw it on the bed, she wouldnt get up there. However, if the scat mat was not there, she would sleep on the bed. So it never really taught her not to get on the bed, it just taught her not to avoid the scat mat where ever it was.. But, we never even had to turn it on after the first day, just the sight of it would keep her off of the bed or out of whatever room we didnt want her in.

I would really like to know how other put their dogs in a room ( I assume with a door) and keep the dog from scratching the door to get out.. That has been a major issue for us.

#14 Danedeer

Danedeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

The problem is that lizajames' Great Dane gets on the sofa when they aren't there even though he knows not to get on when they are there.Chairs on the sofa are a dam good idea IMHO and if the sod ends up in a tangled heap with the chair on top of him then it serves him right, but it's a bit far-fetched to imagine that would happen anyway.

#15 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

I was talking to a good friend today, who did exactly this and her Dane just pushed the chairs away and got his arse on the sofa..Difference is, she was there so no harn done..
Sorry Mon, the dog either needs to be put in another room OR trained not to go on the furniture if that's what his owners want. Its not training him in the long term, putting bits of furniture on bits of furniture..All that's doing is stopping him in the interim and once the chairs are removed, up he pops again..
He needs to know this is unacceptable behaviour and be trained accordingly..........
I can't see why anyone should have to put obstacles on sofas or beds to stop a dog enjoying the pleasures of reclining on the furniture when a bit of training will do the job better so he doesn't do it all...
IMHO... ;)
Kim x

#16 smj

smj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

My two have always been happy to go into the kitchen or conservatory with the door closed when we are in or out .
I have been lucky I suppose as they have never scratched any doors or done any damage to our home .
They don't know any different because rules where set on day one where they can and can't go and when and when not allowed to do things.
They will only walk into our lounge when invited , I know it sounds abit harsh but by being firm and consistant from day one I can trust my dogs because they respect our house and rules. Star likes to sleep on the landing and as soon as I get my coat on for work , she looks at me then goes up to the landing and lies down, Harley crashes out on his bed in the kitchen :)
Lots of training and being consistant is the key :) :)

Sandra Harley & Star xxx

#17 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Yes, I think the day one thing is what I was missed. This is our first Dane. I didnt realize how much they wanted to be with their people at all times and just could not imagine how fast they grew and how stubborn they could be!

Perhaps if we had two instead of one she might be happier without us. We didnt try to separate her from us for the first month and we didnt crate her, then I think it was too late. She got used to being with us all the time. At even that young age, they do a lot of damage to the doors if they scratch. We've learned a lot and would definitely do some things differently. Fortunately someone is almost always at the house. Being on the couch doesnt bother us. And we closed in part of the outside porch where we can put her if we want to separate her now.\, and she is content on the back patio usually where she can see everyone inside. Weather is always nice here, so that works. She cant ruin anything there. All in all, we are fortunate we think. She has chewed the house a bit when younger, but not now. No problems with food or allergies. Gets along with our cats, and other dogs that visit. Learning the limits with the grandkids. We consider her the easiest, best , quirkiest , neatest dog we've ever had. But we would definitely be more demanding on rules if we knew then what we know now. It is much tougher to work through things as they grow than to set the limits right in the beginning.

#18 Aldous

Aldous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Our rottweiler used to get on the bed anytime we left. We used a scat mat that we had to keep the cats off the counters. While I wouldnt want to put it on the couch if the dog did not know what it was ( I would be afraid they might hurt themselves by landing on it and trying to jump off quickly), we let her get the understanding of it by putting it front of a door of a room in which she was not allowed. She didnt like the mild sensation of a scat mat and when she saw it on the bed, she wouldnt get up there. However, if the scat mat was not there, she would sleep on the bed. So it never really taught her not to get on the bed, it just taught her not to avoid the scat mat where ever it was.. But, we never even had to turn it on after the first day, just the sight of it would keep her off of the bed or out of whatever room we didnt want her in.

I would really like to know how other put their dogs in a room ( I assume with a door) and keep the dog from scratching the door to get out.. That has been a major issue for us.

I've never had a problem with either of mine scratching. They have been put in their room at night from when we had them. We had a few whimpers at first but consistency is the key. It's just a question of getting them used to going to their room and them associating their room with good things. I used to give them kongs or big marrowbones in there with the door open which they got no-where else, made sure their room was always comfy and warm, keep their toys in there etc. They only have to be told "In your room" and off they trot.

In fairness their room is the warmest room in the house because it's the conservatory at the back and it's actually more comfy that the lounge, so they don't fare too badly :lol:

#19 Danedeer

Danedeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I was talking to a good friend today, who did exactly this and her Dane just pushed the chairs away and got his arse on the sofa..Difference is, she was there so no harn done..
Sorry Mon, the dog either needs to be put in another room OR trained not to go on the furniture if that's what his owners want. Its not training him in the long term, putting bits of furniture on bits of furniture..All that's doing is stopping him in the interim and once the chairs are removed, up he pops again..
He needs to know this is unacceptable behaviour and be trained accordingly..........
I can't see why anyone should have to put obstacles on sofas or beds to stop a dog enjoying the pleasures of reclining on the furniture when a bit of training will do the job better so he doesn't do it all...
IMHO... ;)
Kim x

yeahbut nobut yeahbut
well the point was that the dog IS TRAINED not to go on the couch and he doesn't go on the couch cos he knows not to but the sod sneaks onto the couch whenever the folks aren't there to tell him NO
so what do you do with a craftysod like him? Answer - prevent him going onto the couch. You still carry on with not allowing him onto the couch whenever you are in the room, so you ARE training him. Maybe another idea would be to provide a dog bed next to the couch and label the dogbed "DOG" and the couch "HUMANS" then the dog might understand that it doesn't mean 'HUMANS but only when the humans are there otherwise it's the dog's couch'
and 'DOG except when there aren't any humans about because then you can sit on the HUMANS' couch'
But the dog might be dyslexic, so physically preventing him doing what he thinks he's allowed to do (but isn't really) is then the only thing that Lisajames can do when she's not at home... unless Lisajames wants to gop down the road of hiring a couchsitter to look after the couch whilst she's out :P

#20 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

So she simply locks him out of where the sofa is and the 'crafty sod' doesn't get up on the damn thing..
Now c'mon Mon you know this makes sense..
No I WOULD NOT put obstacles on furniture the 'crafty sod' has to learn the damn sofa ISN'T HIS... :lol:
Kim xx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Furniture, couch, training