26 replies to this topic

#1 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hello all
I have a lovely Great Dane called Lily. She will be 6 years old on May 1st, so she's getting on a bit in years. She is a loyal and loving friend, but can sometimes be a royal pain in the butt. :wub: I have registered as a new member because I'm concerned about her health and would like some advice. Thanks.

Jess

#2 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi Jess welcome to the forum
Ask away always someone to help and give advice
any pictures of Lily ?we love picture

DD & Millie

#3 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hello DeeDee,
Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I'm trying to upload some pics of her but I'm not quite sure how to do it yet. Still trying to work my way through the forum :)

Millie is beautiful!

#4 Olly

Olly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hi welcome to the forum, I have Olly who will be 6 at the end of the month. Beautiful looking girl you have.

Emma

#5 maggie123was1234

maggie123was1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hi and welcome, lily is lovely I have a six month pain in the bum named Storm lol lots of help on here so ask away :)
Maggie x

#6 buddy

buddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi and welcome.
Im Jayne and have Horace and Jester, they are 2 and 4 years old.
hope you enjoy the forum.

#7 Danedeer

Danedeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi Jess and Lily

Welcome to the forum

I'm Mon with Ruby (harlequin) and Jackson (black) who are both from Great Dane Care ; the rescue kennels near Carmarthen
It's easiest if you stream your photos in from Facebook or Photobucket. Use the green picture icon to enter the URL

xx

#8 Hgillihan

Hgillihan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi, and welcome! I'm Heather, with 2-month-old Wallace. You've definitely come to the right place... The members on this forum are amazing, and will be such a help and comfort to you and lovely Lily!

#9 Sweetsaffron

Sweetsaffron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hi Im caren I have saffie who is six (seven in april) and stormy who is six. Plus two little beasties.

Carenx

#10 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,045 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hiya,,,and welcome to the forum.

Hope lily is ok..:(
You will find lots of help and advice on here.

I am Lizzi with April and Alfie
Xxx

#11 greatdanelady

greatdanelady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi and welcome, I have leaha who is 10 years old, Tara who is 5 years old and a foster a mo who is 9 months. Good place for advice.
x

#12 NALA21

NALA21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Im sure you will find all the advice you need for Lily, hope she gets better soon!
Im Laura and I have Nala my mantle girly :)
L
xxx

#13 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi Jess
Welcome to you and the lovely Lily ........ ask away ....... there is always someone around to offer help.

I am ruled by a pair of pains in the bum ........ Bo & Frankie

#14 LynneT

LynneT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi Jess and Lily
I have a pain in the bum called Flora but wouldnt be without her!! The forum is a great place to get advice and hope you get some answers to help Lily

Lynne

#15 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hi! :)
So lovely to 'meet' you all here......

We've had Lily since she was 3 months old, she's always had a sensitive tummy, especially if she eats something she shouldn't be eating or if we've changed her food, which is very rare.
We've moved house 3 times in the last two years and I've noticed that sometimes she becomes unsettled, but soon settles down afterwards. We've been in our new home for 2 weeks, we had an enormous garden at our previous home (just hoping she hasn't eaten anything without me knowing, but that was a few weeks ago), but just before we moved I noticed that she was lethargic and quiet. I put this down to her anxiety with the move. A few days after being in our new house, she had an accident- it was foul smelling and loose. The next day her bowel movement was like water, and then she started to bleed (pooing blood) - I was really worried so we immediatedly called the emergency vet and went straight over there. The vet examined her tummy, her heart, etc., and took her temperature which he said was quite high. He seemed to think she had an infection, so he gave her a shot of antibiotics together with more to take home. She also had several blood tests taken as I was anxious that something else might be going on with her, even though the vet tried to reassure me that their wasn't. One of her liver enzymes came back abnormal but nothing severe - just a few increased markers- Apparently if a dog has a bowel infection, one of the liver enzymes can be a bit high but because the rest of the liver enzymes were normal, it didn't suggest liver disease. Lily was quite happy at the Vets, jumping around, loving the attention :rolleyes: It was the bill that got my attention, a whopping £260.00 :huh: -

After a few days on the antibiotics, she started to improve, but we only had a course for 3 days which doesn't seem long. We've been feeding her on chicken and rice but if we try to introduce her normal food, she gets loose/very loose bowel movements again - so she is back on chicken and rice. We don't give her too much chicken as again, she will have loose bowel movements.

I called our local vet and asked for advice on what we could feed her - they offered wet food which is £14.00 per 1.5 kg bag and we honestly cannot afford that at the moment -- Her bowel movements were normal this morning but my main worry is that she is not drinking enough. She will eat! Her appetite is healthy, but she is not drinking anywhere near what she usually drinks. I am worried about her, she has lost a lot of weight, her breath smells offfensive, and although she reacts lively when she's about to eat or go for a walk, I think she 'looks'sick.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? She is on Adult food - it's called Pets at home - Veterinary Advanced Nutrition and it's Adult Large Breed -18 months to 5 years- so she should be on a senior food now?

I would be so grateful for any advice.

Jess

#16 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Just switched to a new vet. I've told her about the situation with lily and she's offered something for dehydration just to be safe until i can get another consultation on the 14th Feb -- she was very helpful.

I've just noticed an open sore on lily's tummy :( it's the size of a 50 pence piece --- She was perfectly healthy until she was spayed.

#17 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not sure if this will help you ...but wouldnt do any harm in trying it
Millie has a funny tum just really the last 4/5 months we feed her on tinned Chappie Chicken/rise ...it helps loads now nice and firm poos ..and now adding tinned tripe fingers crossed all is fine :D
some dog owners turn there nose up at Chappie ....but our vet said try it

The sore I would keep it clean with a anti-bacterial wash until you see the vet... maybe she has a lick spot do you see her licking the sore ? ....
Good luck and keep us updated

DD & Millie

#18 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image
Can't reduce the size but this is lily.

Posted Image

And this is Lily when she was a puppy :)

Posted Image

#19 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Not sure if this will help you ...but wouldnt do any harm in trying it
Millie has a funny tum just really the last 4/5 months we feed her on tinned Chappie Chicken/rise ...it helps loads now nice and firm poos ..and now adding tinned tripe fingers crossed all is fine :D
some dog owners turn there nose up at Chappie ....but our vet said try it

The sore I would keep it clean with a anti-bacterial wash until you see the vet... maybe she has a lick spot do you see her licking the sore ? ....
Good luck and keep us updated

DD & Millie

Dee,
Thank you! We can try that! And, yes, she's been licking! I didn't know Chappie was still around? My mum used to feed our dog on that 25 years ago!

Thank you very much for your advice :)

Jess

#20 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Lily is Beautiful
wonderful condition too
Great pictures loving the picture of her sitting in the car :D cute pup too
Start a new post and put pictures in the photo section other wise members will miss them :D

DD & Millie x