Photo

Could My Soon-To-Be New Puppy Be Deaf/blind?

white dane deaf

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lauren.stead88

lauren.stead88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

roxy6.JPG roxy4.JPG roxy5.JPG

I just down a deposit on a 12 day old little girl, but the more I look into it, I fear she is a white dane, prone to health issues, deafness, etc. her parents are merle and harlequin, so its possible, but I'm hoping she has just enough black spots to make her a harlequin. What do you think? Is she too white? I know I'll have to wait for a health check later on, but I'm afraid that late it will break my heart.

Attached Thumbnails

• roxy1.JPG
  • roxy2.JPG
  • roxy3.JPG
  • roxy7.JPG

#2 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Your puppy may or may not be deaf and/or blind; it's too early to tell just now.

BAER testing for deafness can be done when the puppies are six weeks old. If you are worried ask you breeder to have this done, and to have her sight tested as well.

Deaf and blind dogs can still make wonderful pets, it's just that you have to train them differently to compensate for their sensory deficits.

Hazel

#3 dad

dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

our puppy ghost is deaf and she is wonderfull,
her sight isnt wonderfull either she doesn't behave any different realy apart from she doesnt know how loud she is barking lol.
i do hope your puppy isnt but im sure you will love her no matter what.

mandy,x

#4 tonyandlinda

tonyandlinda

Forum 'Champ'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

our jester is blind..........he is the most clever dane we have had and if any rescue blind danes came on we weould not hesitate on haviing another one
laid back our jester is an under statement
Posted Image

#5 Egyptiangirl

Egyptiangirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Gamila is deaf and I adore her. She's also not white at all. She's gray, black with a bit of white. Fingers crossed your puppy will be ok.

ps: How can I post pics of my danes here? I'm really tech stupid :)

#6 dad

dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

hi you need to set up a photobucket account first, then transfare your pictures from pc, on photobucket page there is a bulk upload click and open up you
pics and transfare try that,there is a thread on here about how to put pictures on your posts hope this helps.

tommy

#7 jadeybabe

jadeybabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi,,you don't really need a photobucket acccount,,,,,,next to the ' post ' button,,,there's one,,, ' More Reply Options ',,click that,,and it gives you the option to upload pics from your PC,,,,

Lynn

Hey,,I didn't think I was that technical :o :P :D :lol:

#8 DozyDanes

DozyDanes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

From my experience of mis-marked Harley's, markings, or lack of them, aren't indicitive of deaf/blind. My deaf Dane who also had PRA had far more markings than my other Dane. Ok so the other Dane can't hear too well or see too well but that maybe as much to do with neglect during his past life than a congential legacy. However any Merle mating does ring alarm bells. Please please be careful about spending your hard earned cash with breeders who should know better. My lot were all rescued and I knew they had issues when I rescued them. Had I have been buying a puppy, I'm sorry to say this, I would have wanted "Fit for Purpose." Anything less would have payed homage to folks putting wealth before health. Can't be doing with that sort! And trust me not all deaf Danes are as sweet as honey....mine wasn't and nor is the deaf Dane of our "adopted" kids.
ps Blowing a whistle whilst a puppy is sleeping is a layman's method of detecting deaf. A deaf Dane won't respondx

#9 mumto2

mumto2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Im with DozyDanes on this.
Any good breeder will say the same about merle breeding, the issues arising and why they dont do it.
I dont want to offend anyone with a deaf or blind dane. Its not always from a bad breeding i know , and am aware if other reasons these problems can arise but at the end of the day if you are buying a puppy you deserve to be sure of what exactly you are signing up for.
Its hard to look after an animal with disabilities, and i have nothing but admiration for those of you who have rescued and trained and lived with these dogs but it takes that extra work and care that not everyone could offer.
I would be making sure your breeder is having the appropriate health tests on your puppy before you commit, im sure you would love the pup and lets face it there is nothing more adorable than a great dane puppy, but you need to be sure of its health and your ability to cope if indeed your baby proved to be deaf or blind or even both
i hope people read this and understand my concerns - i mean no offence to anyones dogs

#10 Janmac333

Janmac333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 784 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

From the look of this puppy, I would say from sight he/she is a 'Piebald' or possibly a double merle. Doubt if this is a genetic harlequin but maybe. It is very difficult to tell for sure but you could ask the breeder to have gene testing done. It only takes a couple of weeks for the results to come back and then you know what your playing with.

It is very inexpensive procedure around $85 (£50 odd) for three tests and is simple and easy and non invasive 

I had my harlequin boy gene tested and it was a relief to know he does not carry for fawn, blue or piebald and is a true genetic harlequin:)

If you need the details or what gene to test for, let me know and I'll send you the details. My email address is janmac333@sky.com 

As others have said, the way to tell if he/she is deaf or not is to have BAER testing done when they are a few weeks older.

Can I just ask, is this puppy being sold as a harlequin?

I would speak with your breeder re your concerns and ask if he/she is willing to have tests done to satisfy your fears. Better to know now and lose your deposit and save yourself some heartache. 

#11 dad

dad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

did you find out if your little one was deaf or not? if so please get intouch we are always hear to help advise :)