2 replies to this topic

#1 JoJo32

JoJo32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi everyone :) Hope you are all well...

I am about to start ring craft with my girl very soon (she is 12 weeks - sooner the better :) and wondered if anyone could recommend what type of show lead I should use? Are all dog show leads the same apart from length? Is it just a case of personal preference? Are there typical "Great Dane" show leads? What length should I get? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right sort :) Any advice would be gratefully received. If anyone knows where I could purchase one with maybe a link to a website that would be great! I've had a look on Ebay for example but again, don't really know what I'm looking for... I plan on entering Lulu for her first show at Birmingham in September she will just have turned 6 months by then :)

#2 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Again, ask your breeder :).

When I showed Marble as a pup I used a 3/8" rolled leather slip lead in black.  I am no expert though - I didn't enjoy showing (couldn't see the point in standing there for an age before and after someone spent 20 seconds looking at him and then we trotted around for half a minute :D) - I think he only went to half a dozen shows before I had had enough :).

Pick your ringcraft carefully, too.  I went to one which was highly recommended by several people but the first thing the woman in charge did was storm up to Marble head on, noisy heels on a wooden floor and all, and put her hands on him.  He wasn't very old, and the experience did lasting damage. 

Hazel

#3 JoJo32

JoJo32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

Oh dear :( not good! I have shown before a while ago I used to own a standard poodle and we did make it to crufts:) what a palava that was! All the trimming and grooming involved... Now that would have sent you round the bend!! Haha I just wasn't sure if curtain breeds had specific show leads or not, I've ordered a nylon slip for now just for training, thanks Hazel x