3 replies to this topic

#1 diego77cass

diego77cass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hello all

We have just added to our family with a lovely Great Dane pup.  We currently have 4 Chihuahuas.  The first night we were going to keep in a separate room to

the other dogs, but after some thought we moved the pup in with the Chihuahuas. They all shared the same room for the 1st 2 nights and seem to be getting on all ok.  What we are wondering though, is it still better to create the pup over night and during the day at times we are not there and keep in different room than other dogs, or does this seem unfair. 

Our problem is, the Chihuahuas are paper trained and they go on the paper while we are not there, and we want to train Jersey, our new pup to go outside.

Any help or ideas.

Many thanks.

#2 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hi & Welcome

There are different views on crating, some people like to crate a puppy during the night to help with house training, it means that that they wake you up to go out (until they can hold it all night) instead of wandering off somewhere to pee. You don't say how long you will be leaving the pup during the day (Danes really don't like to be left for long periods of time) so that would depend on whether you use a crate.

Personally I think you are going to have a tough time trying to train your pup to do her business outdoors when you allow 3 other dogs to go on newspaper indoors and it is probably an unfair expectation too because dogs will naturally go where they smell pee so she will automatically try to use the paper like the other dogs ......... could you not train your other 3 to go outdoors ?

#3 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:16 AM

I've never used a crate before but some do...I don't understand why you want to separate your dogs..Best your puppy gets used to living with the other three..

Toilet training a GD puppy means taking him out regularly especially after eating and when he wakes. You'll also need to take him out late at night and the middle of the night until he can 'hold it' Stay with him until he's done his business.. Much praise when he 'goes' and if he has an accident indoors,no fuss just clean it up and definitely no reprimand.

I'm with Kristal on the other three using paper and expecting your puppy to learn she has to go outdoors. It really would be more beneficial if they were all taught to toilet outside and I wouldn't train your pup to use paper either..All that would teach him, its acceptable to go inside..

Kim..

#4 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

And a when a Great Dane pees, they can flood a room