• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerDane

TriggerDane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hi. This is my first post and my first Great Dane, although I am not new to expensive dog ownership having always had pedigrees including Bulldogs (not cheap).

That being said I am slightly confused by the route I should take with regards to insurance. The PDSA are offering a lifetime cover for around £60 with the limit being £8000 per year for vet bills, whereas PetPlan want to charge £130 per month for cover for life with a £7000 limit.

Both policies are for total vet bills per year, but our vet has informed us that they have a Dane on the books at the moment whose bills are reaching over 12k per year, but even PetPlan don’t go above the 12K mark.

I’d really appreciate your thoughts on the route I should choose with insurance as I am certainly not made of money, but equally want to do what is best for our Dane.

Many thanks in advance 

#2 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

A lot of it depends if it's per condition for those figures, I'm assuming it is, in which case unless the dog your vet spoke about is being treated for purely one condition the chances are the majority of their bills will be covered by their insurance, if they have a policy that is.

It's they're talking about more than £12K in a year for one single condition I would be very surprised. It is possible, but I'd be curious to know exactly what condition they are treating to create that level of bill over one year. It wouldn't be unheard of for a Dane to rack up £12K over a year for a mixture of conditions, but even then it would be a very unlucky pup.

We had an advance policy with Direct Line for £8K per condition over the lifetime of the policy. We made one claim for emergency bloat surgery (£1K) which was paid promptly and directly to our vet. We could have claimed for some others things around the £400 mark, but it was staggered over months and didn't reach a level I felt was worth paying the excess and pushing our policy price up. 

I found PetPlan to be very expensive when I got quotes from them, but I've heard people say their policy price stays very steady regardless of claims (no idea if this is true). Direct Line put our policy up each year so we cancelled and then took out a new policy each year (overlapping the cooing off period) until we had pre-existing conditions that I wasn't comfortable having excluded. We were paying around £35 a month until then, and £50 after we let it renew. We lost Duke before our next renewal after his bloat claim so I can't comment on the rise after that. I removed the additional cover for things like Reward money if he went missing, purchase price back on death etc. and it lowered our premium a reasonable amount. 

I would look around for some more quotes personally. Have a look at Quidco as well, you might be able to earn some cashback on whichever policy you buy. When we had insurance for our cat we actually made a profit on her policy after cashback, and we got a fair bit from taking out Duke's over the years too.

#3 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,237 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

Choose a company which will pay out, and which does so reasonably promptly.  Also, check out the policy conditions as they do vary from company to company.

I am also with Direct Line; the cost is £50/month for Troy and I also don't pay for cover I don't need, but they have clauses for bilateral conditions and also maximum amounts they will pay for certain diagnostics.  I have it for the bigger bills in life.  I won't be changing either because he has allergies to grass, cereals and certain weed and tree pollens, but like Becky I don't claim for everything; I won't be claiming for the diagnostics or the immunotherapy treatment as it won't be that high over the months.

Yes, Danes can be expensive to treat because of their size.  Marble must have cost DL around the £30k mark over the years and he did max out his legs so I paid for treatment over the then £6500 lifetime limit, but they paid for everything else without question.

Hazel

#4 TriggerDane

TriggerDane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

Thank you both for your input.

Having looked around I feel quite happy with the PDSA policy as £8000 is a good amount, and my partner and I have agreed to start putting money aside now while he is a pup in case anything more sinister occurs later in life that pushes the 8K total.

#5 wilfpen

wilfpen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'm with PDSA and feel the limit is pretty good, better than most.

#6 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,037 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Didn't realise Pdsa did insurance Wilf,,, we have been putting so much away now in a fund as Aprils went through the roof at the age of eight.
God willing she carries on for a long time yet.
But with all her ops, lumps and bumps they always slaughtered us for it.

Lizzi and April ( hell I still find it hard not to include Alfie's name after Aprils on here:(( ))

Xx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Insurance, PetPlan, PDSA, Lifetime Cover