#1 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

Good evening to everyone!

Hoping someone can help me please! We have a 4 year old
Merle boy named Ronnie and we have now added to our family a 10 week old black boy called Reggie!

All is well and the boys get on amazing together ( so far ) but we are having trouble in the "toy" department! Ronnie my eldest will destroy any dog toy by chewing it into a million pieces! Kongs, ropes and anything else Reggie dares to play with :( no possession aggression at all just destroys them!

It's costing a small fortune to keep replacing so wondered if there was any toys that are "Dane proof"? Never had this behaviour with any of my other Danes so am at a bit of a loss!

Any advice would be great fully received!

Thank you...Amy

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0584.JPG

#2 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

Duke had one of these: https://www.vetuk.co...ed-paws-p-10130

It didn't last forever but longer than many toys

Also a nylabone and any rubber toys were quite hardy. :)

#3 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

Troy does have some soft toys but he also has some gundog retrieval toys which are quite hard wearing and a Kong.  Unfortunately none of these is as good (in his opinion) as my slippers.

Hazel

#4 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! Kongs last around 24/48 hours at present so have more or less gave up on them! My sweeping brush has provided a few hours "entertainment" this afternoon as well as a disused traffic cone ...

Totally get you on the slippers Hazel! New pair brought Monday and already fit for the bin...Good job we love um!

A very handsome Brindle boy you have Hazel, we lost ours 3 years ago bless him.

#5 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

That is a photo to melt the heart .... totally adorable.

We have had some toys that last a bit longer than others like kongs but unfortunately if a Dane decides it needs to be shredded then it doesn't stand a chance (like my brand new expensive wellies) ..... just be thankful you are not losing table legs :D

I have given up trying to figure out the "best" type of toy because our Frankie can shred some toys instantly but he does still have some favourite soft toys that have remained intact for quite a long time ...... his absolute favourite though has to be knicker elastic!!  If I forget to keep him away from the washing pile he will dig out anything that has elastic in (best ones are hubby's underpants) and happily spend ages holding down the elastic with his front paws and "pinging" it with his mouth ...... I have to admit that sometimes I am in such fits of laughter at his little game that I "forget" to retrieve the poor pants until they are shredded.

No harm done though because hubby would forgive anything "his special boy" does.

-- Please keep the photos coming.

#6 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

Have you tried the black extreme kongs? I think they're quite a bit tougher than the standard ones.

#7 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

Not heard of the black kongs but have googled and just ordered 2 so fingers crossed! Thanks for the suggestion!

Knicker elastic!! Crikey and I'm splitting hairs over dog toys I would be laughing too some of the things they do have us in fits of laughter

#8 HighlandDane

HighlandDane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hope the kongs last! All ours have  loved shredding cardboard boxes and learned to ask nicely for the packaging when we have anything delivered. Makes a helluva mess but seems to be a good stress reliever for them, maybe something about the tearing sound they enjoy - who knows? Bit like kids with Christmas wrapping paper....

We laughed at the knicker elastic too - flossing for danes?

Julie & Boo

#9 Clareyb

Clareyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

If you want something for them to chew get a bullbar (cow Horn)  my dane also chews up everything but she hasn't been able to destroy this but she loves chewing it.  Make sure it's at least 9" long so they can put their paw on it whilst chewing it.  I would try and stay away from stag horns as my vet said they aren't very good for the teeth.  Apparently their horns are made of the same stuff teeth are so chips and breaks them, thats why the bullbars are so good.  I haven't come across anything my girly can't destroy apart from them

#10 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

Hi Amy!

Your situation is very much like mine.  My merle Levi is 7 1/2 years old, and my black Walter is just over 4 months old.  They get along great, and Walter is certainly keeping Levi on his paws!  They love to play tug of war and they have wrecked just about every tug toy we've given them.  However, I got one of those super-thick rope toys.  It had to be at least a couple of inches in diameter (more is better!) and long enough to tug.  So far, no one has torn it apart.  They chew on it, tug it, and play "keep away" with it.  So far it has held up.  It's got to be really thick, though!  

Good luck with your boys, they look like they get along famously.

Linda with Levi and Walter

#11 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Aww we both have a black boy Reggie at the same age! My Merle boy Ronnie is just coming up to 5! Yes we have just perchased one of the ropes but neither is interested in it as they can not rip it too shreds! Brought some deer antlers ane they have gone down a treat!! Both love digging 3 foot holes in the lawn at the minute...

#12 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

3-foot holes?  Oh my!  I don't envy you, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone with my Dane circus.  I'd love to see more pics of your boys.  If I can figure out a way to attach it, here is a goofy one of Walter and Levi.  Levi looks like he is about to take off.  

Hmmm, no interest in the rope, huh?  I wonder if you could wedge a treat in between the rope strands.  Anything to make it smell yummy.  Do they like to play tug of war?  My two are fast asleep ON me.  I am nothing but a Dane pillow!  Good thing I'm round and squishy!   ;)

Walter and flying Levi.jpg

#13 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Wow, that is one of the best photos I've seen of the Dane "Helicopter ears" ..... always makes me laugh when one of mine does it.

#14 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

To be honest Ronnie has never been a "fan" of toys..his only interest is the plastic wash pots you get with wash gel..loves chewing those up!! These pair are having a "funny" 10 mins resulting in near broken bones by chasing each other lol

#15 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Dressed up to santas elfs at my daughters nursery! IMG_0771.JPG

#16 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

That pic is awesome!  I can't believe you got Reggie to stand still long enough to put a costume on him! 

#17 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

That was the easy bit! It was keeping him in the costume that was the problem lol..it had bells on so he thought that a toy was attached to his back ! The little monster has driven me mad today..will be glad when it's bed time!

#18 Heatha

Heatha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

Jupiter loves destroying plastic bags. It's not his only preferred delicacy but takes preference over paperbacks and leather gloves. He would be an avid reader if he could only turn the pages one by one ......