I'm new to this forum.
3 nights ago, I noticed my Great Dane Scooby walking around with his head lowered, then he was coughing or retching and I noticed abdomen behind the ribs swollen somewhat. I bundled him into the car and drove straight to my local vet (25minutes drive), he recommended I got to another nearby vet, which I did, (20 minutes) in a state of fear and panic, as Scooby's abdomen was at this stage larger and he was clearly in distress. Luckily, the vet saw him almost immediately and did a decompression and gave two litres of fluid, pain killers and an x-ray. His heart was at 200bpm. Within half an hour, the heart was at 130 and we moved Scooby again to a hospital (30 minutes) for emergency surgery which was to take place if Scooby's heart was deemed up to it. Luckily, there was no torsion and he improved dramatically overnight, the ECG being unremarkable and his heart rate about 80-90 and being relaxed and happy. I brought him home as the out of hours clinic has use of a university vet facility until early morning. He continued to improve all day and the next day. A check-up at 48 hours showed he was well, normal pulse, perfusion, hydrated etc.
So, now I'm waiting to have a scan of his heart to check if he has any issues (cardiomyopathy seems to be the worry) and then to decide if he should have the pexy. If his heart is ok, I have a choice to make.
Any help form experienced dane owners would be much appreciated. I'm naturally averse to surgery for both humans and animals (this is from first hand experience of negative results of same) and just need some help with making the decision. My vet thinks it should be done asap and quotes recurrence rates of 80%. I just want to do the best thing obviously. Favouring the surgery but going mad reading differing accounts.
Many thanks in advance. PS he is 7.5 or 8years was a rescue so not 100pc certain