8 replies to this topic

#1 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hello,  fellow Dane Lovers!

I am so happy to have found you.  I have a seven-year-old Blue Merle named Levi.  He's basically the love of my life...don't tell my husband!  A sweeter dog could never be found.  A couple of months ago we welcomed a Black w/white Dane pup into our home.  His name is Walter and he's willful, stubborn, and an absolute terror!  Of course, he's only 4 months old so he's expected to be a terror. :)  He is a snuggly sweetie in spite of all of that.  I'll attach a pic of them lounging on the sofa.  

I am thrilled to have found Dane folks because both of my boys have "issues."  The most recent is that Walter is cow-hocked.  I know he's only 4 months old, but I worry that he'll not grow out of it.  I've been told I'm overly concerned, but they are like kids to me.  I can't help myself!  I'll certainly be checking into your health forums and asking advice!  Thanks much in advance!

Linda

Attached Thumbnails

• Levi and Walter.jpg

#2 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to the forum :)

Gorgeous Danes you have!

#3 janiemer

janiemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi from one Walter to another!   I think it must be in the name as my Walter who is just over 2 is also a terror!   Good job they are so loveable.  We are finally beginning to see some calming down after the "teenage years".  

#4 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your two Danes...quite a breed.

I'm Lizzi with April,
Xxx

#5 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

Oh the look on young Walter's face in that photo says it all ........ " I am a terror but you love me mum"

Welcome to the forum, I am also a two Dane mum and both of mine also have their own issues so feel free to share, I'm sure there is someone on here who has "Been there & Done that" at some point so if we can help (or even just sympathise) then we will try.

#6 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

Welcome to the forum :)

Gorgeous Danes you have!

Thank you so much Beckyy!  I am pretty darned fond of them :) 

#7 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Hi from one Walter to another!   I think it must be in the name as my Walter who is just over 2 is also a terror!   Good job they are so loveable.  We are finally beginning to see some calming down after the "teenage years".  

You have a Walter, too!!!???  I had never heard that name for a dog before, so it's very cool that your Dane shares the name.  I'm not sure my Walter has the "calming down" gene in him at all!  Time will tell.  I would love to see I pic of your boy.

#8 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your two Danes...quite a breed.

I'm Lizzi with April,
Xxx

Thank you so much for the kind welcome!  April's markings look very much like my Walter's.  She's a love, for sure.

#9 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Oh the look on young Walter's face in that photo says it all ........ " I am a terror but you love me mum"

Welcome to the forum, I am also a two Dane mum and both of mine also have their own issues so feel free to share, I'm sure there is someone on here who has "Been there & Done that" at some point so if we can help (or even just sympathise) then we will try.

Kristal, you have Walter pegged perfectly!  Yes, he knows perfectly well that he can get away with many things and I'll still love him.  This morning he sat next to the bed and barked till I got up.  I was rather irritated till I sat down with a cup of coffee on the couch and he crawled up on the cushion behind me, curled himself around my shoulders and fell asleep with his face next to my cheek.  He's over 60 lbs at 4 months old, and here I am, giggling because I'm wearing him like a shawl.  How can you stay mad at a puppy like that?  

As for his issues, as I mentioned above, we are finding that he's cow-hocked.  I didn't even know what that was, till I looked it up.  Our local vet contacted a board-certified surgeon we used previously for our Levi's bloat issues, and he said that Walter should be ok unless he becomes lame.  That didn't give me a whole lot of comfort, especially since it looks like he might be putting more weight on one rear paw than the other.  None of this seems to slow him down thus far.  Anyhow, thanks for listening.