Photo

How To Get Experience Around Great Danes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 northdane1

northdane1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I having been thinking for months about getting a Great Dane. 

We have a 10-year old son and my wife works part-time. We both have experience of owning dogs in the past, but never a Great Dane.

We came close to getting one last week, but I think unfamiliarity with the barking of the adult Danes at the breeder's house made my wife a bit scared, but she left just as keen to get one in future.

We want to spend some time getting more experience at being around Great Dane's, preferably not a people homes and were wondering if there were any way to do this we hadn't thought of.

We have no dog currently so can't go to training classes and meet them. We don't have any friends with Great Danes and we live in the North West of the UK.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks!

#2 kimscot

kimscot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

Look out for Dane walks..There are usually held all over the country.That way you'll get to meet several Danes and see their behaviour and how they are handled etc;.But Facebook would be your best bet for that..

Perhaps go to some Dane shows too..Try Googling for information..

One thing Dane owners love is talking anything Dane..

As for the 'big bark' you soon get used to it.. :blink:

Do plenty of research and make sure you go to a good breeder even if you have to travel a long way..

Good Luck

Kim..

#3 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

As Kim says, shows and group walks are a good way to meet Danes.  On the other hand, your Dane will live in your house (I hope!) and if possible you do want to meet them in a home environment.  Visitors can be very exciting for any dog and you can expect some barking in the breeder's environment and to be thoroughly checked out by the dogs.  That said, Troy is quiet when people come to the door but he does like to stand by me and watch while I answer it, which can be reassuring when the visitor is unexpected if somewhat off-putting for some of the visitors :).  With a breeder you should have the advantage of meeting Danes of all ages as well.

The most important factor for me is temperament (they aren't all the same); good "after sales support" from the breeder is also important so pick your breeder carefully and be prepared to travel.  The Kennel Club's list of Assured Breeders is probably a good place to start.

Good luck in your search.

Hazel

#4 northdane1

northdane1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for both of your answers! Some good ideas there. We will keep our eyes and ears open for the things you mention  :)

#5 janiemer

janiemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

If you're not in a rush think about visiting Crufts in March, on the day that the Great Danes are there.  You will get to see plenty then.  Also all the breeders have stands so that you can meet and chat with owners.  Great day out regardless

#6 FredAndAngel

FredAndAngel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

Hi-depending upon where in the North West you live, you are more than welcome to come and meet our 2 Danes and have a chat. Does not have to be at home-can be out on their walk. We are on the Wirral.

#7 FredAndAngel

FredAndAngel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Or maybe not then!

#8 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

Great Danes are beautiful dogs. They are gentle giants with lovely temperaments. Please research everything you can about this breed. And don't forget, large breeds equal expensive vet bills so consider Pet insurance.

He or she will give you many years of joy, but you have to be absolutely sure you are reading to take on the commitment of owning such a large breed.

I've just lost my girl. I miss her terribly.

#9 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

Good luck in your search hope you find your forever Dane.
Lizzi and April.
Xxx