8 replies to this topic

#1 YBALFOUR2402

YBALFOUR2402

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hi everyone

I posted on this site a while back when I couldn't get my lovely blue girl Lola to gain weight. She's now 2 years old and only weighs 43kg.

We just had a set of allergy tests done and the vet called me last night with the results. It appears that Lola is allergic to some environmentals (dust mites, grass) but she's also allergic to ALL meats that they tested her for, including salmon and white fish!! She's also allergic to milk and is mildly allergic to soya!!

She's ok with grains, rice, wheat etc so that helps!

I'm going to discuss it with my vet this evening but just wondered if anyone out there has experience of this? Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I've done some research today so that I can ask questions of my vet tonight, and have found a food called Ami Vegan Dog Food. It looks like it might be ideal for Lola now. I'm thinking that if I can find a complete food that has everything she needs re vitamins, minerals etc then that might be the way to go. At least I know she'd be getting everything she needs in each meal!

I'm totally prepared to go down the route of making homemade meals for her, but I wouldn't be entirely sure what to do about making sure she has all the nutrients she needs every day!

I hope someone out there can help!

Thanks

Yvonne

#2 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Wow, that's awkward! Were there any meats they didn't test? 

#3 YBALFOUR2402

YBALFOUR2402

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hi Beckyy

We got the report from our vet last night and it's quite an extensive list of allergies! The meats tested for are beef, pork, lamb, duck, chicken, turkey, venison and rabbit!! And she shows allergy  to them all!

She's been on a soya food trial for the last 3 weeks and has showed an improvement. Her appetite seems better and she's not itching quite so much.  So, as she's only mildly allergic to that, we're to carry on for the next 3 weeks to finish the trial. Then we can start to reintroduce things she's not allergic to.

Hopefully she'll start to gain some weight soon!

Yvonne X

#4 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

Wow I have never heard of a dog having so many allergies, what a worry for you, I have no advice to offer but I hope you manage to get some answers soon.

Good luck

#5 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

Troy is allergic to the pollen from several types of grass and to certain trees; it became apparent last June.  He is also allergic to certain foods but it's the opposite of Lola's; he is allergic to cereals, including rice and corn, and to quite a few vegetables - notably those which tend to be used in hypoallergenic foods :).  I can't help you with vegan foods but your vet may be able to recommend some.  Our vet has one patient who is allergic to nearly everything - cereals, veg and meat - and they have had to get a pet food manufacturer to manufacture a diet specifically for the dog.  Feeding Troy hasn't proved to be a problem in that I am a raw feeder anyway.  The only thing I have done is cut out treats containing cereals and vegetables; I hide liver treats around the house and he has a great time seeking them out.

With regard to the pollens, if your vet doesn't discuss it with you, ask about immunotherapy. I have embarked on this with Troy; he gets Vet-goid from Alergovet.  It is a Spanish product, is made for each dog individually over there, and it needs a license to be imported which is registered to the treating vet, the owner and the pet (my vet arranged all of this for me).  The first week Troy got a half dose (0.25ml) and had to wait 20 minutes afterwards in case he suffered a severe reaction to it.  The second week he received the full dose and waited around again.  He is now vaccinated monthly but I do it - I have the vaccine in the fridge, and some syringes and a sharps box in my cupboard (he has had his latest dose this morning).  In previous months he has been slightly more itchy four to five days after the injection for a couple of days then it settles down again.  Immunotherapy can take ages to work, and I won't know whether it has had any effect until June time.  As far as cost is concerned, the two phials which should last about nine months cost me £240.

Good luck with Lola :).

Hazel

#6 YBALFOUR2402

YBALFOUR2402

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi Hazel
Thanks so much for your reply. That's great information for me!! And it's quite comforting to know that others are in the same position. And it's encouraging to see that Troy looks so good. It gives me hope that we can get Lola sorted, get her gaining weight and looking healthier!

Lola showed a reaction to meadow grass and house dust mites too, but is totally fine with grains and cereals,veg etc. So that's something!
Once we've finished the food trial we can start her on other foods too. And I've looked into vegan food and treats if we need to go down that route. There are some out there so I'll chat to the vet about what's best. She's suggested Purina HA as a possibility too. Apparently the hypoallergenic foods would be better because the proteins are hydrolysed, which means they're broken down into really tiny bits, wich reduces the chances/effects of any allergy. I'm sure it's more technical and scientific than that, but that's the gist of it as far as I can gather! But it's all such a minefield! We'll go with whatever our vet suggests to start with.
We called a company called Tails, who custom make food for dogs. Unfortunately because Lola is allergic to meats AND fish, they can't make one for her at the moment. But maybe in the future.

Our vet actually mentioned the immunotherapy too. It's something we may have to look at in the future. So again, it's good to know its out there as a helpful possibility. And good to know she's quoted us around the same price if we do!

Thanks again so much for your advice. And I hope the immunotherapy works for Troy!

I'll post an update once we're a bit further down the line. Fingers crossed Lola is doing well and gaining weight by then!

Yvonne X

#7 Hazel

Hazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

My profile pic is actually the late Marble!!  This is Troy:-

minehead #2.jpg

Hazel

#8 YBALFOUR2402

YBALFOUR2402

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi Hazel

I'm sorry. I didn't realise your profile pic was a different dog. Looks lovely.

And Troy is a handsome dog!!

This is a pic of Lola. You can see how slim she is, although hopefully now we've found out what's wrong, she'll come on leaps and bounds! She's such a sweet dog, although a bit nervous and shy of strangers.

Thanks again for your help.

Yvonne X

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20170203-WA0006.jpg

#9 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

What gorgeous dogs!  :wub: