4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevmather

Kevmather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hello

We get our first Great Dane puppy next week at 8 weeks old. Can anyone recommend a good harness that will last him a few months please? Or even what size Harness to look for?

We dontt want a collar or anything that goes on his face at first. An adjustable one so we get a few months from it would be good

Thanks

Kev

#2 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Hi

I use the Julius K9 harnesses on my Danes, they are very well designed. I don't know about the sizing for your pup and they might actually be too bulky for such a young dog but if you look up their web site you can find out all the measuring requirements and check out the designs.

Good luck with your new family addition, please post some photos if you get the time.

#3 Kevmather

Kevmather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

Thank you. I will have a look at them

#4 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone's browsing - I've been using Halti harnesses for my pup - search for Halti Premium Walking Harness.  We started on small and are now on large! He's now five months old, and I'm going to have to find a new brand when he grows out of this one as I don't think they come in XL or XXL.

I've found these harnesses good for a puppy as they are lightweight and very adjustable, plus they have a "grab handle" on the back which has been invaluable for stopping him leaping out of the car on occasion!  They don't stop him pulling, which is fine for me at the moment as I am (trying to) training him to walk nicely on lead and not to pull.

#5 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Well I use a dogmatic for both Alfie (at the bridge :() and April since she was six months, the brakes of the Great Dane.
There is no excuse for not having your Dane to heel. But even now at ten if April meets another dog she is so excitable and wants to say hi. And my biggest worry was her hurting a smaller dog with her great big paws.

She walks beautifully but the head control is superb, the whole head turns. I always felt the harness was on the most powerful part of a dog, their shoulders.
Good luck in your decision this is only my opinion for what it's worth and all our dogs are different with different needs.
I just feel safe with the dogmatic.
And never regretted it. If I was to buy another Dane or rescue I'd use it again.

Love lizzi and April xxx