• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vixtrix

vixtrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Our two Danes (2 year old brother and sister) behave very strangely at food time. They act like they've been punished the minute I start to fill their feed bowls. There is no historical explanation for this behaviour. The lad is a lovely size so I'm not so concerned about him but his sister is, in my opinion, slightly underweight.

We currently feed Dr. John's Titanium dry food (recommended by the breeder) with Butchers tripe (tinned now...we started the off on defrosted tripe) and more recently Chappie, because she's got a problem with her anal glands (vet recommended).

On a side note, she has had two major operations on her hind legs by Noel Fitzpatrick to correct the serpentitious legs she was born with. But she completed that in September last year, I don't know why that would affect her eating habits now.

Any advice much appreciated. 😊 But I don't really want to go down the fried mince/chicken and gravy route just yet as when we started that with our first Dane we made a massive rod for our own backs.

#2 Danedeer

Danedeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Maybe try appetizers? Jackson has a teaspoon of cod liver oil about once a week. I don't think it's wise to feed too much, but he absolutely luvs it.  We give it him for his coat, but it might make the food more appetizing for your bitch

We buy the horse stuff - it's cheaper. https://www.amazon.c...itre/B003SYXOOE

don't know why it's £7 for 400ml for dogs& small animals, but less than £10 for a litre of horse stuff.