7 replies to this topic

#1 Maximoose

Maximoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hi all,
A question that's been on my head for a while now as I am learning more and more about the Great Danes. What does your dayily routine looks like? Do you walk and feed your Dane or feed and walk?
Our 10month old boy is fed raw twice a day and we strictly wait the recommended two hours after meal before we walk him ( as a way of preventing the bloat).However mornings are proving little tricky as with feed at 6am he can only get walk after 8am. Most mornings it's not a problem as my office is at the back of the garden and I can easily take him , but some days when I need to travel for work I need to be out of the door by 7am which means I cannot walk our boy on those mornings. There is always someone in the house to let him out to the garden for toilet and stretch but I do notice difference in his behaviour when walked only once ( even if it is longer walk).
So in a search for a golden balance I am thinking of walking our boy first thing in the morning and then feeding him an hour after but I am wondering what everyone else is doing. Do you have experience with walking on an empty stomach? Do you stick to the 2hour Before walk or 1 hour after after walk rule?
Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 bigcheese

bigcheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Hi Maximoose,

We always walk then eat..Ringo goes for 1st walk at 5:45 for 30 mins,I then wait 45 mins and give him his food

Then he sleeps for 3 ish hours and I walk him again at 10:30 for 90 mins..once again he chills for 45-60 mins then second feed at 13:00

He chills in the afternoon and goes out for final short walk at 18:00 for 10 mins then chill 45 mins and then final feed at 19:00 then he sleeps right through until the morning. 

As you can see it's 45 mins chill before and 2+ hours chill after food

Regards,

Mike

#3 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

We always gave Duke 3 or 4 meals a day and waited minimum an hour after a meal for a walk, unless it was a particularly long one then maybe a little longer but we always had leisurely walks if I'm  honest.

We experienced bloat (don't worry, it's extremely rare, we were just unlucky it happened and lucky he survived) and he hadn't been for a walk beforehand that day, or eaten for 3/4 hours. 

#4 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

We normally feed Saffy at 7am and 4pm and walk her at 10am and 7pm.

Sometimes we walk her in the morning before her breakfast and she is much livelier.

She had bloat and torsion a couple of years ago but thankfully survived. We couldn't relate the onset to any particular pattern of feeding and exercise.

#5 Maximoose

Maximoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

Thank you all for very helpful advice. We are still doing the eat first and walk later, but we might try the walk and eat routine.... need to stop worrying about bloat too much, but glad to see that the 45 mins and 2 +hrs is what you all go with. We never had that problem with our lab so it's all new to us.
At the moment he is like an alarm clock and always up by 6am waiting at the bottom of the stairs for his breakfast :) ...

#6 Maximoose

Maximoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

We always gave Duke 3 or 4 meals a day and waited minimum an hour after a meal for a walk, unless it was a particularly long one then maybe a little longer but we always had leisurely walks if I'm  honest.

We experienced bloat (don't worry, it's extremely rare, we were just unlucky it happened and lucky he survived) and he hadn't been for a walk beforehand that day, or eaten for 3/4 hours.

Thank you Beckyy. So difficult with the bloat ..... I am glad that Duke has survived... must have been so scary! Read somewhere that it might be related to stresss... seems like no clear cause can be pinpointed.

#7 Maximoose

Maximoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

We normally feed Saffy at 7am and 4pm and walk her at 10am and 7pm.

Sometimes we walk her in the morning before her breakfast and she is much livelier.

She had bloat and torsion a couple of years ago but thankfully survived. We couldn't relate the onset to any particular pattern of feeding and exercise.

Of poor Saffy! Must have been really scary! Hopefully we can get our boy to last between the meals that long :) at the moment he is crazy hungry after 12 hours between the feeds.... do you feed her more in the evening ? Or are the feeds the same size?

#8 Maximoose

Maximoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

Hi Maximoose,
                        We always walk then eat..Ringo goes for 1st walk at 5:45 for 30 mins,I then wait 45 mins and give him his food
Then he sleeps for 3 ish hours and I walk him again at 10:30 for 90 mins..once again he chills for 45-60 mins then second feed at 13:00
He chills in the afternoon and goes out for final short walk at 18:00 for 10 mins then chill 45 mins and then final feed at 19:00 then he sleeps right through until the morning. 
As you can see it's 45 mins chill before and 2+ hours chill after food
Regards,
               Mike

Hi Mike , thank you for the advice. Ringo is a one lucky boy :) I am tempted to try the early walk before morning feed . But will keep sticking to the 2+ Hours and 45mins before meal rule...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Feeding, routine, bloat, diet