3 replies to this topic

#1 bigcheese

bigcheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi All,

We are planning on Driving to Northern Spain next April & was wondering whether to wait 2 hours after eating before embarking.

Ringo loves the car & stretches out on the back seat and falls asleep within minutes of leaving (his harness is attached to the seat belt)004.JPG

We are wary of the dreaded Bloat so not sure whether to give him some food then let him snooze in the car or to wait in the hotel rooms then start the day's journey?

Regards,

Mike

#2 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'm sure you'll get more advice but this is what we did recently for a particularly long car journey with our boy.

The actual travelling time was 5 hours but with stoppages for us all to stretch our legs the overall time was nearer 7 hours so I fed him breakfast early in the morning (even though I had to drag him out of his bed) to ensure he had an hour before setting off then I took a supply of Digestive biscuits (McVities of course) and each time we stopped I gave him a drink and a couple of biscuits.

I know it may sound a strange idea to use digestives but over the years I have always used them as an emergency stop gap, I usually feed 3 times a day so whenever we are taking him for an outing where he might miss a meal time then I feed the digestives to just keep him ticking over rather than giving him a full feed while we are travelling ....... it makes me feel more secure guarding against the dreaded bloat and he has always seems happy with his treats.

Good luck with your journey and I have to say I am envious that your boy sleeps while travelling, our Frankie hates to miss a thing and spends the whole time gazing out of the windows.

#3 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

We used to do long journeys (10/11 hours) in one go a couple of times a year. I fed Duke before we left, once on the way and when we arrived. I only used to have one very quick fuel/feed/pee stop unless I had to do more as preferred to get it over and done with but it worked for us, probably not the most sensible or comfortable journey(for me anyway!) but Duke was never bothered and enjoyed the car.

Duke did bloat but hadn't been in the car at all for a day or two prior, and no recent long journey. Enjoy your holiday!

#4 bigcheese

bigcheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

Will take on board both you recommendations. We're going to drive overnight to Troyes in France. Have an evening there to walk and feed Ringo. Then up early next day,walk Ringo,feed him,wait an hour then bomb on through France to get somewhere near Spanish border by late afternoon then repeat the following day to arrive in Benicarlo Spain by afternoon