• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan's homepage

Dan's homepage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Didnt think Id be doing this again after losing Daniel and Moose so close to each other in 2015 but ...... please meet Duke 😜 nearly 6 and a Mantle. Again a challenging boy because of the way he has been handled but proving to have a heart of gold. Cant live without them it seems

Attached Thumbnails

• 8397EC29-AB20-4655-B0BE-036134987318.jpeg

#2 bigcheese

bigcheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

He looks a distinguished chap...glad you have a Dane back in the house...what are his issues?

#3 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

Well hello you..:))

Now isn't Duke a majestic looking boy, how gorgeous is he.
All the best and hopefully without too many issues on the way, of which I can relate massively.

Good luck and welcome home ;))

Love lizzi and April
Xxx

#4 Dan's homepage

Dan's homepage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi Lizzie and I hope you are well ?
His issues Bigcheese are that he was very neglected. Had untreated eye issues leaving him practically blind in one eye. We had both eyes operated on for Entropian which has made a huge difference.
Untreated ear mites so had very sore ears and is quite head shy.
Had to fight for food and has very high guarding instinct. Very underweight.
We have had him now 8 weeks and day by day he is relaxing with his food aggression practically resolved. We can now allow Sunny in the same room as the food bowls and Duke. That is how hungry he was. So sad. Sunny is a legend who at 12 has welcomed and helped so many anxious and unsociable Danes into his home allowing them to know kindness and love again.

The guarding issues will take more time but with treats, the help of family and friends we can now get him to “turn away “ when people walk past the house rather than trying to break the door down ! People knocking on the door is a work in progress !

He has proved tolerant of most dogs, providing they show no aggression. If they growl or bark at him then he would go. He is therefore kept on a long lunging lead, unless we are well clear of other dogs. He is a gentleman with children and woman but more wary of men and I doubt we will ever really know why but from his condition could hazard a guess.. he just loves to run and has discovered the joy of a ball. At nearly 6 and poor condition he tires quickly but each day he can walk further. He likes the water but is happier for Sunny to swim out in the sea for the ball, preferring to mug him when he comes out .

We will get there slowly and he now loves a cuddle. Actually he demands cuddles as only a Dane can.

#5 bigcheese

bigcheese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Wow that is awful to hear of the neglect...would love to get my hands on the culprits!!!

Respect to you for taking on this chap and giving him the structure and love that he desrves

~GOOD LUCK

#6 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

Well that all sounds so familiar well bits of it with our dear Alfred.
But we had him for seven years losing him at nine.
Seven happy years of troubles loves and dismay at times.
But that boy enriched my life like no others ever have.
Teaching me so much that not all dogs come to us perfect.

Good luck my sweet and what a lucky boy he is.

Love lizzi and April
Xxxx