3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevmather

Kevmather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Hello, more advice needed please

Molby is 7 months old now and 47kg. He's been fed a variety of raw meats 3 times a day and currently about 2kg per day over the 3 meals. He has never turned his nose up at anything until last week when he started leaving his breakfast and being a bit picky at his other meals.

Unsure of the reason for the sudden change as nothing has changed from previous months. Same supplier etc.

When he leaves his meals should we take it away and skip a meal or should we play catch up later on to make sure he is eating the right amount?

It may be unrelated but he has just started his "humping" phase. He also likes to lick walls which made us add cider vinegar and ground pumpkin seed to one meal a day a few months ago

I've attached a few pics because I know people like that ha. Also to show what he looks like as I think he looks healthy (besides the huge egg on his head) but I'm new to Danes so no expert

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Kev

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4327.PNG
  • IMG_4323.JPG

#2 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

What a handsome boy!

I'm a new Dane owner - my boy is just about 5 months - so hopefully someone with more experience will be along, but I just wanted to ask a probably daft question which is whether he's finished teething?  My boy is teething just now and yesterday went completely off his food (something which I never thought would happen - he generally eats his food and tries to eat the bowl, too!).  He's otherwise fine so I am just keeping an eye on him for now.

If your boy isn't teething, and is otherwise fine, then I think the general advice is to lift the bowl after 10-20 minutes, and then offer food again at his next mealtime - as you're feeding raw, I don't know if you are safe to offer the same food or to offer different food.  I don't think you should play "catch up", just carry on as normal - but I'm not an expert, so if more experienced owners offer different advice, I would take that.  If you're giving him different food at different times of the day, perhaps mix it up so he doesn't know what to expect, but he's still getting the same food overall?

Of course if there are any other signs of concern - other change in behaviour, diarrhea, etc - then a vet visit might be wise just to be on the safe side. I'm always amazed at my furry companions' ability to keep going when they're feeling rubbish or injured.

Hope this resolves soon for you both.

Vanessa

#3 Kevmather

Kevmather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi Vanessa, thanks for the reply. I don't think he is teething as he went through a phase about 2-3 months ago where we kept finding everywhere and haven't found any for a while. Even when he was losing his baby teeth he gobbled up all his food as normal

What u suggested with food is pretty much what we have been doing. He ate all his breakfast for the first time in 2 weeks today so hopefully it is pasing. Someone mentioned growth spurts but I thought they ate more when that happens

Thanks

Kev

#4 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Glad he seems to be getting his appetite back.  :)