• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:39 PM

A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting a dog, and specifically a Great Dane.  I read a lot of posts here and put up a long post with lots of questions - I got a lot of help from patient and detailed replies to my questions, and from the various posters who've put their own questions and answers up over the years.  So I first wanted to say a massive "thank you" to everyone.  There's a lot of great information here, and you all gave me a lot to think about.  All the practical tips really helped so I was as prepared as I think I could be when I did eventually get my own Dane - I don't think you can ever be absolutely fully prepared.

I brought August home in July when he was 8 weeks old, so I've had time (almost) to forget the sleep deprivation of getting up through the night, the initial stages of beginning to leave him on his own for little periods of time (he's got a very good set of lungs!), discovering how much Danes (and particularly puppies) hate the rain - which is difficult as it was a horrible, wet, summer, but vividly remember puppy snuggles and the way that even as a tiny puppy he could snore loudly enough to be heard through the house!  

I am truly in awe of how fast these lovely dogs grow and change - August has gone from barely 7kg at 8 weeks to 35kg at about 4 1/12 months (and has grown since).  He'll be 5 months old on Saturday.

I am completely smitten with him, and with the breed. He's a happy puppy, generally getting his nose into something when he's not sleeping.  He loves his food (apart from right now, as he's teething), loves cuddles, and is a star attraction when we're out and about.  Still a way to go with training - he knows his basic commands, but he's so curious about the world that he get distracted, even in a non-distracting environment! Work in progress!   

I've attached a few photos below (hopefully, thank you to bigcheese for answering my post asking for instructions!).  Photos are roughly at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months and just last week (about 4 1/2 months).

Looking forward to many happy years and adventures with my lovely boy.

Vanessa

20170711_100035.jpg

20170811_124222.jpg

20170914_163657.jpg

DSC_0076.JPG

#2 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Adorable and scrummy ....... he is totally gorgeous.

It sounds like you have been well & truly bitten by the Dane bug and now there is no cure :D

Please keep the photos coming, they grow so fast.

#3 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, Kristal.  Yes, I'm completely infected with the Dane bug!  (Which may just be newbie enthusiasm, but I suspect not!  They really are lovely dogs.)

#4 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

What a gorgeous Dane.
Many happy years together,,,and well done you on photographs

Lizzi and April
Xxx

#5 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Nope ... once bitten by the bug then you are hooked for life!

I won't pretend that it won't cause a few grey hairs and a some tears along the way but it will also give you so much love, devotion, cuddles and laughter that will wonder why you would ever want another breed.

Thanks, Kristal.  Yes, I'm completely infected with the Dane bug!  (Which may just be newbie enthusiasm, but I suspect not!  They really are lovely dogs.)

#6 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, Lizzi - I think he's gorgeous, but I am very biased!

Kristal - absolutely! He's given me a few heart stopping moments already but makes me laugh every day.

#7 DozyDanes

DozyDanes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

He's so adorable it's obscene!
I've never been tempted by a Great Dane puppy...I usually prefer my Danes a bit older..but he's tempting enough to swallow whole.
Love fawns...absolutely love HIMxxx

#8 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Aw, thank you, DozyDanes.  He is scrummy - even when being naughty - he has a thing about my trudge-around-the-garden shoes (very necessary when there's been so much rain about!) and I often find him nibbling on the edge with the sweetest most innocent looking expression!

#9 Sweetsaffron

Sweetsaffron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:24 AM

Just stunning.