• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

Things have been busy and Penelope has been great. She's such a healthy girl. BUT I found a lump on her front left leg a week ago when she limped limped a bit. But only for a couple of hours and. It since then. Though she may favor it a bit when running. We don't let her go up the stairs anymore. No X-rays in the island and I've checked with dog pwners across the country. No one is impressed with their vet for big things. The lump is still there but she is running and playing . She doesn't seem to be in pain. We did start giving her an anti inflammatory and I can tell a huge difference with her activity level. I think, at age 6, she was getting a little stiff and achy...sort of like me. I've been in touch with our US VET. But without an X-ray he can't tell us much

If you remember it was a big deal to get Penelope into the car, and she still becomes very agitated in the car to the point I'm afraid she will bloat. She loves the boat. If she sees us get ready to go on the boat, she starts running up and down the dock, jumping and makes sure she gets in the boat. She walks across a step and behind the motors. She's one determined girl if a boat is involved.
So I'm hoping the lump doesn't grown. Right. NOw she just brought a toy to my husband to play tug of war. I watched her run down the dock earlier.
We were hit by the hurricane in Florida but not much damage IMG_9893.JPG IMG_6075.JPG IMG_9765.JPG IMG_9749.JPG IMG_9737.JPG IMG_9675.JPG IMG_3865.JPG

#2 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Lovely to see photos of Penelope on the boat, I remember when you had to spend ages trying to convince her to set foot on it ......she didn't know what she was missing did she?

#3 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Yes we did have to work very hard to get her on the boat but now if we start to pack or get the boat key she runs outside then gets so excited. Rather unnerving haveing a Great Dane having the zoomies on a narrow dock with you. I'll have to take a video of her getting on th boat. A more determined Dane does not exist . I wish we could figure out a way to hoist her off and on the boat to let her run some of the beaches, or to swim. But We couldn't lift her back on the boat from the water. She loves to swim but only from the beach where she knows she can go back and touch ground if she wants to.

#4 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

I love the photos! Gorgeous girl.

I hope you get some joy re: x-rays and it's nothing to worry about.

#5 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

I would get it checked soon. Saffy had a lump on her front leg and by the time it was diagnosed as a mast cell tumour it was so large she needed a skin graft over the wound.

Legs are difficult to heal because of the blood supply and although the tumour removal was straightforward Saffy spent 4 weeks at the Supervet while the graft healed :( .

Best wishes

Mike

#6 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

A mast cell tumour...is that malignant. And did she need other treatment? We have no Supervets here Howdid she do after it was removed and healed?

#7 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

They can be malignant, it depends on the grade of tumour. Best to have a vet take some fine needle aspirations to check.

Saffy needed no other treatment apart from lots of TLC while the graft healed. They cut a patch of skin from the back of the leg, leaving one corner attached to maintain the blood supply, and wrapped it round the front over the wound. The graft took a long time to attach itself and the dressing needed changing twice a day which is why she had to stay at the vet for so long.

Mike

#8 DozyDanes

DozyDanes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

Lovely photos of a beautiful girl.

Maybe your vet could aspirate/biopsy the lump. Mr Bo had a million lumps and they transpired to be fatty tissue. Hollie had one smallish thickening of the bone and that transpired to be osteosarcoma. My motto has always been "when in doubt...check it out."

Good luckxxxx

#9 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Have you had it checked yet? just wondered how things were now.

April has so many lumps I've stopped counting..
Take care.
Love lizzi and April
Xx

#10 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

I

#11 greyeast

greyeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

I am so,so sorry to read your message we lost one of our lovely lurchers last year with bone cancer-I can imagine how you are feeling-my heart goes out to you -your stories +pictures of Penelope have always brought a smile to my face-sending you all love+prayers xx

#12 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

Penelope continues to do well. So I'm still hopeful. She still loves the boat
And here she is getting off the boat. Her first time she made it without covering the gap! Such s brave girl

Attached Files