• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

We've tried to deny it, bit I think we have to accept the fact that our beautiful Penelope has bone cancer, right front leg in the joint above the paw. She is 6.5 years. We first noticed the lump in October, though in photos I can see it forming earlier in September, maybe even August. She had no limp. Just a lump. I returned from a business trip where my husband stayed home and soon as I saw that lump, my heart sank, Still, she didn't seem to follow the normal course of a cancer being so aggressive. As you know we live on this island and there is no X-ray. I've felt guilty at times for having her here at this point where she doesn't have the latest technology, but then I remember, she was born here. This was to be her life, regardless if she was ours or not. I do think she's been a pampered princess for these years. I cannot say I would have chosen amputation even had it been an option, we do have access to a local vet and a vet in the US. WE have her on a combination of drugs to control pain. She is still happy, and right now she is on a walk with my husband, her appetite is still great. She is limping now and the lump has grown. This group was so important when Penelope was a young pup wreaking havoc on two people who had never had a Dane before. Everyone was so helpful. I learned a lot. I'll,let you know,how,she is doing. Right now she is doing pretty well.

#2 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Have no advice to offer, only that I was so sorry to read you post.  They are such amazing dogs. 

#3 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Yes they are. We ar focusing on the day to day. She is still happy and involved. Good appetite. Still, I always thought she'd be one of those grey old lady Danes because she was so healthy

#4 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Im so Sorry :(
Penelope has had such a great life with you, beautiful home lovely beaches.
As long as she happy and still having chilling time on the Broadwalk’s
Big hugs Penelope x

Diana xx

#5 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

just had to say how much we feel for you. We lost our first dane Leo to the same thing. She is a very special girl as was our Leo and never forget that it is a great privilege to have her in your life. Continue to pamper her.

#6 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, please keep us posted.

I remember Penelope as a pup, I can't believe she's 6.5 now!

Tale care x

#7 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Oh I am so sorry, the worst possible news for you to cope with.

I have been through what you are going through now and I know how difficult it is, all I can say is make the most of every day and make loads more wonderful memories with your girl, she has a wonderful life with you and she knows how much she is loved.

Take care & healing thoughts coming your way.