#1 secondrowchick

secondrowchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

HIya,

New member here!

I am looking to upgrade my car (currently I have a Hyundai i20) and need something to put the dane in! I am not keen on putting the back seats down because he likes to try and get through the gap and onto my lap (thankfully only happened once when pulling up to my house!). My husband has a range rover and Aksel was trying to get over the back seats to get to us so we had a grille fitted to stop him.

So: he has to go in the boot, he is a big bog so head room is a must, he also needs to turn around! I need something cheap to run - any ideas?

Thanks

Jenny

#2 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Welcome.

Watching with interest as I will likely need a new car soon, too and something cheap and reliable would be ideal!

I currently have a Skoda Yeti and a large 8 month old Dane.  Have had to fold down the back seats and fit a dog guard behind the back seats so he can fit - he looks very comfortable now, with room to stand, turn, lie down and get up to all kinds of mischief.  I've had to get a liner for the back of the car as he chews everything so of course he's chewing the liner (which is buried under soft comfy covers for him).  Had a heart attack moment a few weeks ago when driving on a back road as he managed to get one of the back doors open by chewing the door handle and I hadn't set the child lock!

There are previous threads on this forum about cars and Danes although nothing recent, I think.  May be worth searching if you've not done so already?

As with everything to do with Danes, it seems you need something large and robust!

Best of luck

Vanessa

#3 janiemer

janiemer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

I have a Volvo V70 and it has bags of room in the boot and a decent head height.  It also isn't too high for Walter to jump into which is important as he has bad legs.  On my second Volvo and highly recommend them for a great all round car.

Good luck

#4 Ronnieandreggiesmum

Ronnieandreggiesmum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

We have a Land Rover freelander that we can squeeze 2 danes in..although it is a squeeze.vauxhall zafira has a good size boot which is what we are planning on having in the next few weeks! 3 kids 2 adults and 2 Great Danes going on holiday camping for a week is a sight to be had! We have even looked at a horse box to transport them in to free up space lol!

#5 MikeD

MikeD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Toyota Yaris Verso circa 2000 is perfect for our Dane friends.

It has a low floor and high roof, and the back seats fold under the floor to give a huge flat area for big dogs (or taking stuff to the tip).

Ours has done 150k+ miles, never broken down and drives like new.

Mike

Saffy_taxi.PNG

#6 petra

petra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

I have a Volvo V70 and it has bags of room in the boot and a decent head height.  It also isn't too high for Walter to jump into which is important as he has bad legs.  On my second Volvo and highly recommend them for a great all round car.

Good luck

I also have a V70, I am on my 3rd.  It is 10 years old, was cheap and sooooo reliable.  I get 2 danes in it, with a couple of thick duvets to keep them comfortable and, with the back seats down they have plenty of room,  There is a  mesh built in to the back of the  front seats to cause a barrier to keep the dogs in the back.   Works really well, and as a vehicle, it is reliable and not overly expensive to run.

#7 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

We have a Peugeot Teepee and it is brilliant for our Saint Bernard. WE also have to accommodate a 3 legged cav with his pram and it fits them all easily. The back seats are easily removable one by one and the back is low so our old girl can climb in with ease. It even has an opening window at the back so you can pat your dog or keep them cool without opening the door. Once you have got over the obvious non-cool image you will find it wonderfully practical and in fact pretty economical too. PS the Berlingo does a very similar job. PPS if you have a Dane you need the best for it and sadly not so much for yourself. You won't regret it.