No replies to this topic

#1 jongri

jongri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:44 PM

Hi Great Dane people,

I've had 9 Great Danes & 2 Rescue Great Danes since 1993. I recently purchased my 12th Great Dane puppy, a Champion sired Mantle male from an AKC Breeder of Merit off the AKC Market place website. His name is Buddy & he just turned 6 months today (107 pounds). None of my other Great Danes had eye problems before Buddy. He had an unsuccessful Cherry Eye surgery 1/31/18 performed by my regular long time Veterinarian. Therefore I decided to take him to a Veterinary Ophthalmologist since his right eye showed no improvement after the first $600 (U.S.) Cherry Eye surgery. I was told by the Veterinary Ophthalmologist Buddy has a Scrolled Third Eyelid Cartilage along w/ the Cherry Eye that requires a second eye surgery ($1850 - $2500 U.S.). Buddy is scheduled for this second right eye surgery 3/7/18 to repair the scrolled 3rd Eyelid Cartilage & Cherry Eye. Fortunately his left eye is completely normal.

Buddy is in every way a beautiful, happy, playful, social, healthy, fun loving Great Dane puppy taking AKC Beginners Obedience training and hopefully this 2nd eye surgery will finally resolve his wonky looking red right eye? It figures that I finally saved enough $ to purchase an AKC Champion sired Great Dane puppy & in only 6 months have already had to spend more on 2 eye surgeries in his one eye then he cost to purchase

($2000 U.S. purchase price) ($3000 U.S. for 2 eye surgeries in same right eye)! I strongly advise any dog owners considering Cherry Eye Surgery 

to have it done by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist so the eye gets diagnosed & successfully surgically repaired the first time!