• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

I Cannot believe I only posted what I did this last few days.
But I'm afraid to say April collapsed on her walk today with my husband, her back leg went... She could not stand nor walk.
The toe and hind quarters just dropped..I rushed home to find my husband and April lying on the grass verge until I got there. We carefully lifted her into the car and sped to the vets.
She squealed in pain when this happened, so we knew it wasn't going to be good.

The vet thought it might have cracked or slipped... We made the dreaded decision to let her go after knowing this was beginning to happen most days, but not of this ferocity. It wasn't going to get any better.
She was so calm and the perfect lady she always was.. She loved life to the full, energetic and athletic to the end. The vet was amazing, compassionate and gentle. Saying what a star she was and in the most beautiful condition for a senior lady.

I found this site ten years ago and made and met many new friends, some I still see on a regular basis, also going on several walks, one of which was televised making it the largest Dane meet ever... In Derbyshire.
Thank you to you all who have helped and advised on the issues I've come across owning Danes, and the techno too.
I learnt an awful lot about the breed, also taking Sir Alfred pudding face (rescue) on too. Taught me more than I could ever know.
So my friends I bid you farewell for now, I might pop on and off at times. Take care of those beautiful Danes young and old.

Farewell April Poppet, go find sir Alfie,,,run to that bridge and meet up for one last time.
Xx
Broken hearted
What is now just
'LIzzi' 😪😪

#2 Beckyy

Beckyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

Oh Lizzi, I remember the feeling  all too well. I was enjoying seeing April's photos just last night, I am so sorry. 

April had a wonderful life with you!

Run free gorgeous girl x

#3 sharon

sharon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:54 AM

So sorry Lizzi and Colin I wish I had thecwords to comfort you both.

I followed April's story from when she was a puppy which seems like yesterday. I can remember all about her and 'Puddingface' Sending love and hugs to you both. Hope we meet up in the future in London

Love and hugs to you both xxx

#4 Beachdane

Beachdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Where do the years go from when our Danes were young . I've enjoyed your posts and will miss them. Penelope has been gone six weeks now. Broken hearted with you

#5 Sweetsaffron

Sweetsaffron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

I’m so sorry to hear this, I joined in 2006 with saffie but we lost storm in December so we to have no Danes. So sorry you must miss them both terribly. Caren

#6 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

Im so sorry Lizzi :(
My thoughts are with you and your family
April was a beautiful fun lady..
I remember all the great stories and lovely pictures of Alfie and April

Run free April .. Alfies waiting at the bridge sweetheart xxx

Diana xx

#7 Elaine short

Elaine short

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

So sorry to hear the sad news. I'm quite new to the forum only 2 years but I've read so many of your post. Run free April. Love Elaine, Oscar and Alice

#8 Vee414

Vee414

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this.  What a grand old lady.

Vanessa

#9 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Just had to reply to this and add my thoughts for you. Now without both danes it must be especially difficult. I have to say that I remember your many posts over the years and although we never met I feel I know you and your pair very well. Not only that ,I seem to remember quite a number of posts, including one in particular, which I believe involved a grandfather clock. And then the lovely pictures of walks in the fields and that beautiful farm. We haven't had a dane now for over 5 years (been struggling away with Annie our Saint) but still have great feelings for the danes we have had. We still talk about them regularly and would never have missed the privilege as I'm sure you will also feel for the rest of your years. It is so hard now and once again our thoughts go out to you, but I'm also sure you would not have wanted to miss out on the time you shared with them. Finally thanks for sharing your experiences on the Dane Forum, you and your pair will be remembered long and missed greatly.

#10 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

Oh my goodness thank you so much for those lovely kind words.they mean an awful lot. Not sure there are many of the originals left on here now.. I cannot believe you've remembered so much about Alfie and April.
Yes we still have the clock,,, ticking time away gently in the corner.

Missing her so very much as you and many others know this feeling. They are such a huge breed I feel their presence is just so much in your face,,,literally.
Still feel she is in the house when we've been out...
Bit like you and many others you have to move on and get on with your lives...
We will never have another Dane, I think they were a pair I will never ever replace in my head. We hopefully will in the future have another dog, just not ready yet.
I've never in my lifetime been without a dog,,, and I don't like it.

Danes will always be very special to me,, they are different and unless you've owned one don't think other people get it.
Alfie certainly taught me more than I could ever imagine,
He enriched my life for the better. April well she was our poppet, kind gentle but clumsy.

Anyway sorry for my ramblings, I will pop on and off here. But to sign without a name is just awful
Thank you once again for your lovely reply, and thank you to all that have taken the trouble to read and send messages too.
Means an awful lot.
Love to you all, your Danes loved and lost.

Love lizzi
Xxx

#11 Chippychip

Chippychip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Oh Lizzie
My heart breaks with you hun. We lost Kia in November to bloat and then Dexter had a heart attack on our bed on 29 March, so we lost two Danes in four months. The house and our hearts are empty. Sending all our love to you xx

#12 lillysnow

lillysnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

Hi Lizzie
I’ve not been on here in a while but decided to have a little look for some of the oldies today. I was so saddened to read about April amd Alfie and I’m so very very sorry
I remember joining this group just before getting Lilly and spending hours just reading about everyone’s beautiful Danes. I was so excited to collect my own and couldn’t wait to learn all about this wonderful breed. They are my world. Lilly is now almost 8 and a half and we’ve seen far too many of the dogs on here go to the bridge. They all seemed a little like family somehow.
Sending you a huge hug.
Take care
Beverley, Lilly and Teddy ❤️

#13 tom

tom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Hi Lissie not been onfor such a long time andwas so saddened for your  monumental loss .love and hugs tom and family 

#14 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

Aww thank you Tom and everyone for all the kind words, they mean a lot.
April,was nearly 11 so I feel very blessed we got so far, I know a few on here are or were a magnificent 14!
I Hope this forum continues for the benefits of Great Dane Owners, as I personally found it invaluable with my two at times.

Love Lizzi
Xx

#15 Danedeer

Danedeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

oh dear. so sorry

Mon