• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

We just rescued a fawn 10-month-old Great Dane bitch.  Once we got her home we realized that her head appears to be small for her body.  In addition, her tail is super long.  I'm not worried about the tail, but I'm a little concerned that her head may never "catch up" to her body.  Has anyone else seen this in their Danes?  Her new 'brother' has a Euro head and at first, I thought I was just making an unfair comparison, but I don't think so.  Her head definitely looks out of proportion to the rest of her.  We'll love her no matter what, but it would be really interesting to hear what others think.

IMG_5670.jpg

#2 frosty april

frosty april

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

She looks perfectly normal to me, slightly on the lean side, but that's just an age thing I would say, will soon fill out.
Last thing you want is an over weight Dane.

She's beautiful ,,, although have you noticed the lump on the front leg near her joint. Could be a pressure lump of she's been rescued.

Gorgeous double act.

Love lizzi
Xxx

#3 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Thank you so much for answering.  I really appreciate it.  Greta's head just seems smaller than the other American Dane I just lost, but Levi was a male and that's probably it.  I noticed that you just lost one of your Danes in March, and I am so sorry.  

You are right about the pressure lumps.  The rescue pointed them out to me and said they would resolve in a few weeks.  I was not pleased to know that she had been on hard surfaces, but she'll never have to worry about that again.  I have a Dane on either side of me on the couch right now and that's how it should be.  :)

Greta will be seeing our vet on Monday and she will check her out 'nose to tail.'  I have all of her vet records from her previous owner and the rescue gave me her NH certificate of health.  

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sending slobbery kisses...and the dogs send some, too!  ;)

Linda with Greta, and Walter

#4 kristal

kristal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

She looks okay to me, she might just turn out to be a petite Dane ...... sometimes I wished my boy's head wasn't quite so big when I get a fat lip from him.

#5 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

kristal, thanks so much for the comment.  I've had a few fat lips from my male Dane, too.  Still, ya gotta love 'em.  As for Greta, thanks for your input.  We saw the vet a couple of days ago and she agreed that Greta's head was slightly small and probably wouldn't grow much more.  Now let's just hope her body doesn't get a lot bigger or she'll really look out of proportion!  It doesn't matter, though.  She's a phenomenal dog and we were very lucky to find her as a rescue.

#6 john h

john h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Just wanted to say, smaller head, smaller chops, less slobber which must be good. Have a lovely time with her. Best wishes

#7 mainepaperpusher

mainepaperpusher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

Haha john h, so true!  With our older Dane, we find slobber EVERYWHERE from floor to ceiling!  Thanks for the best wishes, so far she has fit into our household seamlessly.  With a rescue, you never know exactly what you'll be getting, but she is a gem.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head proportion, puppy, body vs. head